The Institute of Nigeria China Development Studies (INCDS-UNILAG) is located within the main campus of University of Lagos in Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria. It was established in recognition of enormous benefits of the growing bilateral trade and strategic economic cooperation between the Chinese government and Nigeria by University of Lagos in conjunction with Chinese Investors Association for Development and Promotion(CIADP) through a memorandum of understanding facilitated by the Confucius Institute of University of Lagos (http://confuciusinstituteunilag.com/) a Chinese Language Institute. The Institute was formally launched in on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 and became operational from January 2, 2019.
- INCDS is envisioned to be a world class comprehensive resource epicenter for Chinese and Nigerian investors and others from both countries desiring to initiate and execute businesses of common interest. The Institute is to identify and put together the fragments of the Nigeria-China relationship, especially in commercial, technical and intellectual activities. Also, to properly harness the immense potential of Nigeria-China relationship in other areas such as general policies and diplomacy, arts, crafts, culture and tourism and more.
- It provides avenue to access the benefits of Nigeria-China relationship more fairly and effectively for both parties. And to help equip investors and businessmen from both countries to deal with the potential drawbacks of greater economic integration of the two countries.
- The main aim of UNILAG-INCDS is to develop a platform to promote business, research, exchange of socio-cultural ideas that would enhance or further strengthen the existing Sino-Nigerian relationships. The Institute is also to facilitate the localization of Chinese businesses in Nigeria, provide reports on their needs and improve compliance with rules and regulations on labour and local content, and aid adjustment to the Nigeria’s business environment.
- The UNILAG-INCDS deploys the UNILAG pool of intellectuals and collaborate with professionals and experts in the organized private sectors and public services to provide expertise and recommend proposals and advocate evidence-based policies to fast-track and sustain the development objectives of Bilateral engagement between Nigeria and China.
Foremost Think Tank For The Nigeria-China Bilateral Relations
- Sino-Nigeria Resource Centre for Investors.
- A hub for Business partnership on innovations/inventions by students and academics with professionals in Nigeria and China.
- The leading trade facilitator for inward and outward trade missions between Nigeria and China.
- Number one institute on business intelligence and research with a focus on Sino-Nigerian Economy.
To become an institute for exchange of intellectual ideas and research excellence in pursuit of knowledge for the development of mutual trade and economic activities that impacts positively the Chinese-Nigeria economies.
To provide a platform for profound and innovative research, which shall help to propel Chinese investors and encourage investments, especially as relates to Sino-Nigerian relationship.
- Promote Chinese investment in Nigeria in a manner that ensure economic efficiency, competitiveness and inclusiveness.
- Provide Empirical support for strengthening productive and trade capacities of local and Chinese businesses in Nigeria.
- Develop technical support for building business resilience against vulnerabilities and risks arising from exposure to global business environment.
- Empower through training, critical business skills acquisition and investing in their future.
- Facilitate and promote business linkages, investment opportunities and trade agreements.
- Public Sector
- Diplomatic Community
- Academic Community